Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Gonna Take a Sentimental Journey...Open House


Welcome to my OPEN HOUSE.
Hannah is waiting to greet you.... (she's grown so much!)

Do you get misty eyed as you unwrap Christmas ornaments? Do you spend hours remembering when and where you found them? Do you think back to the days when the kids were little...before children...to your childhood? I do...Maybe that's why it takes me DAYS to deck my halls.

Then again...I am one of those creative types that never uses decorations the same way twice. In fact, I am not sure I could replicate anything that I have done in the past...even using old photos. Part of the fun of decorating is using what I have in different ways...and painting new artwork to "deck my halls". And I love when someone comes over and ooos and ahs over the "new" decorations!

I hope you will bear with me while I share memories (in red) from all around my home...

My first memory: The Flexible Flyer sled is a remnant from our "days of exile" in PA... Our first northern Christmas was a white one. Santa gave this sled to my husband...what excitement! He couldn't wait to try it out. Up the hill he climbed...to the top, by the chief of police's home...Following all the kids, he headed down the steep hill, into our yard. Unfortunately, he did not know how to stop the sled and went flying over the 8 foot drop, SPLAT, into the neighbor's yard. The momentum kept him continuing down the hill and into the snow-covered street. He finally rolled off the sled...and trudged back toward our house...a half mile away!!! Needless to say, he was a bit leery of sledding again...and sore...and tired...and laughing all the way!!! The sled makes an unusual conversation piece here in FL!!!

The nativity was made by a dear friend several years ago. For many years, Marty and I have hosted a "Craft Party"...everyone must make a craft, giftwrap it, and bring it for a lively exchange. We have had so much fun with this party...first learned of it in Orlando...our first year of marriage. We have since hosted this party in 5 different states!!! The crafts from this party are treasured items in our home.






The dining room is set with desserts from our neighborhood progressive dinner last weekend. The centerpiece is my "famous" cheese box (a gift from a dear friend in TX) with a wonderful lantern (Home Goods) on top. The ornaments are long ago purchases from Home Goods and Crate and Barrel. The candlesticks are the "green candlesticks" I used in my fall tablescape...they are newly painted with black enamel paint. I found them at Steinmart on a clearance table. The runner is just a length of folded fabric. Easy table...quite elegant. Small tea light candles finish the look...and of course, the desserts look fabulous (and taste good, too!!!)


(without the desserts)


Here's Marty, trying to decide which dessert he wants to eat...FIRST. There were so many choices! Above him you can see the soffit...it's filled with lights, wrapped presents, and handpainted reindeer. I made these reindeer when we lived in TX (16 years ago!). There is greenery tucked into crevices. Occasionally, I use tulle draped over, under and around the reindeer. It's a festive site!!!!!!!!!!!


Sideboard... lanterns, greens, and a nativity set, surrounded by a grapevine wreath.

The piano is the perfect place for the "Santa" photos of my "little boys". These photos were taken the year my husband's company had a Christmas party for the families...including a Santa who had over-indulged. (He reeked of alcohol!) The frames for these photos were picked up at a junk store in Dallas, about 18 years ago...bare metal, cheap. They had been painted to look like a tuxedo shirt! I sanded them, coated the frames with an acrylic sealer, and hand painted them...cost: about $1 each!!!

The living room and foyer are open into the dining room (I flipped the DR and the LR. This helps when entertaining large groups. Plus, I have a delightfully cozy sitting area (the new LR) and actually use this room! There is a wall of shelves and mirrors in here...divided into three sections. One contains my angel collection, the center contains the nutcrackers, and the third is filled with hand painted glassware (which did not photograph...too dark with a mirror reflecting the flash...) Small tea lights are lit at night all over the shelves. The reflected candlelight bathes the room is warmth.
(Just be sure you do not burn a taper or tall candle under a glass shelf...no matter how far apart the glass is from the flame. The glass shelf can SHATTER....happened at our annual
Christmas party... about 5 years ago. What a mess!!! All my
handpainted plates and wine glasses were smashed to smithereens!!! Glass dust and shards were everywhere!) The recessed area above the kitchen door is ideal for a floral display. The little chair is from our old church...all the kids, from my oldest brother to my boys have probably used these little chairs over the decades. The artwork is original Jane.




Even our little piggies are dressed for the holidays...the paintings are original.









The recessed area above the kitchen door is ideal for a floral display. The little chair is from our old church...all the kids, from my oldest brother to my boys have probably used these little chairs over the decades.



The stocking painting (an original Jane) is propped in a flat basket.


As you walk into our home, you are greeted with "JOY"...made from a 3-sectioned metal object. We covered the three sections with heavy aluminum foil and glued the painted letters onto each section.




The family room, breakfast room, and kitchen open into each other... Here is where we keep our tree. Rowdy, the retriever, is posing in his usual spot...under the tree. Amazingly, he and the other dogs have not touched the tree or the ornaments. (to get Rowdy's photo, I missed the top of the tree. It's 11 ft tall...and has a large woven star on top.


Snowman collection. It's evolved over the years, thanks to our annual gift exchange.

There is a Santa collection, too. It just would not
photograph well in its location.









This side table was partially set up for our party last weekend. I had pitchers of chilled water with fruit on this table...punch and soft drinks on the breakfast table, and a coffee bar and tea set on the counter in the kitchen. That was a huge success!!! For the coffee bar, I had bowls of chocolate and mint chocolate chunks, whipped cream, cinnamon and peppermint sticks, flavorings, and all the other coffee needs.


The flying Santas are oldies from JoAnn's. The mirror was a $2 find at a garage sale...
a little touch-up paint and voila!







This little tray with a Santa pitcher was unfinished...from Michael's. The mosaic is done with shards from a broken mirror.




Mr. Snowman is an example of a new technique I am trying.
He still needs a bit of work, but he filled a corner for our parties last weekend.










Florida-style stocking...









These 3 candlesticks were a gift...they have been painted so many colors over the years...orange, turquoise, red, green, black...



The mantle...old window with greens...wood spools, reindeer, greens, and large jingle bell garland. So simple and beautiful.
I began purchasing the wooden spools on our trip home from our honeymoon.




This mask ornament was purchased in New Orleans during Marty's special 50th birthday weekend. Not only did we explore NOLA, we met with dear friends who were in town for the AU/LSU game in Baton Rouge. (We opted not to go to the game...and spent the whole weekend exploring!!!) What a fun treat! Whenever I look at this ornament, I remember that wonderful weekend with my dear husband.





This was my firstborn's first ornament...which he thoughtfully allowed me to keep until he has his own firstborn child. The ornament is "Adam" from the Joan Walsh Anglund books, Emily and Adam. My firstborn was named "Adam" and he had blonde hair...and reminded me of this ornament.

Every self-respecting AUBURN fan has an "Aubie" on their tree, don't they? In case you cannot figure it out...Aubie is the Auburn mascot.









And last, but not least, is Tooloose the Chocolate Moose. My daughter-in-law painted this for me a couple of years ago... This particular year, I had found moose ornaments for the whole family. Some had candy canes, some had tree lights caught in their antlers...just like Cat had painted them. These ornaments were purchased in honor of my sons favorite childhood story called "Tooloose the Chocolate Moose", written by Stewart Moscowitz. (out of print)
(One of these days, I will share this story with you...and a fabulous mousse recipe.)


Thanks for taking this sentimental journey with me...
Wishing you and your families the happiest holiday season...and a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Hugs,
Jane

It's Tablescape Thursday! Be sure to visit with Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for some beautiful ideas!

11 comments:

Eileen said...

Wonderful post!
Did you do all those beautiful paintings?! Really very nice! I love them all, but I think my most favorite is the Christmas balls over the beautiful drop-leaf table. And the snowman one is adorable too! And I like the moose your daughter-in-law did. Talented family!

I really enjoyed reading all your memories and sentimental attachments too, very sweet.

Your dessert table looked great, and I love all your decorations. You have made a very nice home for them, and I like that you don't use them in the exact same way each year.

Great post! Thanks for sharing it all!
Merry Christmas!
All the best to you,
Eileen

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

So many wonderful ornaments and memories. I truly wish I had collected ornaments, especially from my travels. But it just did not come to mind..., I didn't take pictures either!

Have a Happy Holiday!!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Jane, I enjoyed touring your home decked out for Christmas. Love all your things and enjoyed all the stories behind them all! Looking very Christmasy there...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Bama Belle said...

Oh what a fun post! I adore reading and sharing in the memories of friends!
I would love to hear more about your progressive dinner as well! Be well

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Such a wonderful tour -- and I love your holiday paintings! It looks like a Christmas spectacular!

Ms. Bake-it said...

Hello Jane,

What a lovely tour! I loved the memories you shared with us. Especially about your husband's great sled adventure! Looks like your home is filled with many cherished items with warm memories.

Thank you for stopping by and saying hello!

Merry Christmas!

~ Tracy

Barbara Jacksier said...

Thanks for the tour. I really enjoyed it. The memories is red idea is brilliant.

Barbara

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Oh...I am so like you, reminiscing over each decoration! Love the history of yours...especially that gorgeous sleigh!

Moore Minutes said...

What a fun post to read! I so love reminiscing on memories too! You have some good ones for sure. :) And I LOVE that red polka dot stocking! I so enjoyed reading the memories you had attached to things. Life is beautiful.

Moore Minutes said...

Oh! I forgot to tell you. That red polka dot cake plate I have is a Rosanna dish from www.rosannainc.com

jmac said...

Hey Jane!! Such neat stories of your Christmas collections and I was right there with you on all of it until I got to the Auburn Tiger....I, of course, have the LSU tigers on MY tree!!! heeheehee!
Hope you got the pkg. and that your Christmas was a merry toulouse one!!