Pages

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Ice Cream Toppings: Hot Fudge Sauce


My family LOVES ice cream sundaes...with our own homemade sauces. While we love making our own ice cream, we rarely do so. We just head to our neighborhood Publix and pick up BLUE BELL Ice Cream...usually homemade vanilla (MacDaddy's favorite!). We discovered this ice cream while living in Texas. We were so disappointed, when we moved to Florida, that the local stores here in the Bay Area did not carry it....until just a few years ago.

Music Guy called me from Ocala, one day, telling me that he was following a delivery truck with a photo of a Blue Bell Ice Cream carton on it. He followed it to the store, then went inside and bought a pint of chocolate ice cream and ate it right there in the parking lot. Then he went back into the store and bought a cooler and bought 2 more pints to bring here for me. (BIG SMILE!!!). It was a little soft when he got here, but oh... it was SOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!

Below is our favorite sundae topping. This recipe was given to my mother by an old, long-gone friend. It's one of the best fudge sauces I have ever tasted....and it's a killer in an ice cream pie! Enjoy!

Grandma's Hot Fudge Sauce
2 1-oz. squares unsweetened chocolate (Baker's)
2 cups 10x confectioner's sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk
3 tbsp. butter
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

In a saucepan, melt chocolate over low heat. Gradually add sugar and milk, alternately, to chocolate. Stir over low heat until smooth. Add butter and salt. Cook until butter is melted, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Stir. Serve warm over ice cream.

(Our hot fudge sundaes are usually topped with toasted, buttered pecans on top. Put a little butter into a saute pan. Add chopped pecans and cook over medium heat, until the pecans are covered in butter and toasted. MMMMMMM.....delicious!)


Be sure to stop by http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com for all the Foodie Friday recipes. And visit www.kitchenbouquet.blogspot.com to join the Ice Cream Social. You'll find some great recipes and ideas for ice cream...

Have a wonderful weekend...and EAT SOME ICE CREAM! (And read my previous post...try to enjoy your ice cream AROUND the TABLE and enjoy being with your family and friends!)

Jane

26 comments:

Lynn said...

This sounds really good, thanks for sharing!

bj said...

I love this precious post and laughed at him eating the whole thing on the parking lot. sounds like me!!
I live in Tex so we do BlueBell all the time...even have a gro store 10 blocks from us with plenty of it. :))
Your fudge sauce sounds devine...ummm...thanks so much for the recipe.

Maya @ Daily Vitamin Sea said...

I love, love vanilla icecreme topped with hot chocolate sauce..., and I use 100% cacao which is sugar free and the combination just tastes delicious -can't get enough!!

Suzy said...

No Blue Bell up here either! I'm not sure it will ever make it up this far although I have no idea why its not nationwide. It's the best for sure! That hot fudge sauce sounds wonderful. So much better than the jarred stuff I'm sure! Thanks so much for joining me at the Ice Cream Social!

Gridiron Girl said...

I can't imagine life without Blue Bell! I guess I'm lucky that I can drive less than 5 miles in any direction and have some any time I want it. Thanks to your post, I want some RIGHT NOW! The Hot Fudge Sauce sounds wonderful. I will definitely be trying some of that!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I've never had Blue Bell so I guess I'm missing something really good! I'm sure happy I found your grandmother's hot fudge recipe though. Thank you!

Beth said...

Jane, Your sundae looks delicious! We don't have Blue Bell ice cream in Iowa; my daughter in Texas confirms it's "the best." My mom used to make homemade chocolate sauce. It was so much better than what you get out of a bottle. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Jane! I'm in the mood for a decadent hot fudge sundae right now!
Hugs and blessings, Beth

Deanna said...

oooooooooooooohhhhhh the best ice cream in the country!!!
We discovered Blue Bell when we lived in Texas as well...a wonderful, wonderful benefit of Texas.

Especially like their vanilla. It taste alot like a homemade ice-cream we had when we lived in Omaha, Nebraska at a church event we attended.

Lucky you! Delicious treat,
d

Foley said...

Copied the hot fudge recipie before I even commented! No Blue Bell here either - as far as I know...will have to look and see.

Kat said...

The visual in my head of your son following the Blue Bell truck to the grocery store has me laughing out loud. I read it to DH and he cracked up too. Living in Texas, I forget that not everyone is lucky enough to have Blue Bell anytime they want! The hot fudge sauce sounds delicious, we'll definitely be trying it. On Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla! BTW, the Vanilla Bean makes the best root beer floats :) Kat

Nana's Nuggets said...

Hi! Jane, Oh! the Blue Bell icecream, I just can't imagin taht some can"t get it! I just had some after dinner, I had made some brownies, and had a little scoop of strawbery w/ homemade vanilla. I guess I take that for granted too! ha!, and the new flavor,Southern Blackberry Cobbler is so yummy!, and that sauce sounds so good! Thanks for sharing. *Blessings:)

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Gotta love hot fudge! Great recipe!

Terri Steffes said...

Yummy! Hot fudge is a must for ice cream. Thanks for a homemade version. Can't wait to try it!

Linda Starr said...

I had mint chip last night and the price was definitely right.

rjerdee said...

Jane,
Wow, you guys really know how to live--and I sure do miss my Publix store. So funny, music boy eating a pint of Blue Bell in the parking lot. Must be an adorable son and you must have a lot of fun around your table!
Happy Sunday (eating sundaes?)
Becky

Shellbelle said...

Now Jane, I love ice cream with hot fudge sauce and pecans for sure, but you know what I love even more? The story of your son buying a cooler and bringing two pints to you. That right there tells everyone just what a fabulous mother you are to have brought up such a thoughtful child.

Carol said...

Nothing better than homemade hot fudge! I have to make your recipe!

Kathleen said...

My sister is a displaced Long Islander in TX and told me about that Blue Bell ice cream when she was here this summer.
Your sauce sounds delicious!

Julie said...

Your hot fudge sauce looks amazing!!! I love hot fudge sauce. Don't tell anyone but I can eat it by the spoonful!

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

You won't have to twist my arm to made the hot fudge sauce :-) Thanks for sharing!

Marsha said...

I haven't heard of blue bell ice cream up north but if someone followed a truck to the store it must be good! The hot fudge sauce sounds delicious and I'll be copying it as soon as I am done commenting - thanks for sharing!

Bonnie said...

One can never have too many good got fudge recipes. I love the photo of the shadow box. What a lovely blog. I'm so glad to have found it.

Candy said...

Your sauce looks amazing and the pecans look to die for!

Kristen said...

First of all, I have to say that Blue Bell ice cream is one of our family's all time favorite ice creams. They make so many wonderful flavors!

Your sauce sounds so good. I especially like the toasted pecans on top. YUM YUM YUM!

jmac said...

My dear namesake!....haven't had time to read all the comments yet so someone may have already told you this....GET THYSELF BACK TO STORE AND PURCHASE A BUCKET OF HOMEMADE PEACHES AND CREAM. aND HOMEMADE VANILLA WITH STRAWBERRIES!!! Promise..my boyfriend eats a bowl of one of these every night of his life and swears they are the best of all the Blue Bell flavors made. I, myself, love the plain ol dutch chocolate and we argue about this often!! I do know one thing....since Blue Bell came out, I've not made one freezer of homemade ice cream. It's THAT good!!
Can't wait to read your prior post!!

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

Re: 100% cacao

Yes, I make a sauce..., heating it up in a little bit of water, stirring. It's bitter on its own, but with the vanilla ice cream it's awesome.