Pages

Saturday, June 18, 2011

TRASH TO TREASURE...

It's amazing what you can find in a neighbor's trash, while you are walking your dog...


This was sitting next to my neighbor's mailbox... damp... completely covered in dirt/mud...downright yucky!


And it called to me.....
(Of course, my neighbor thought I was crazy...)


A little elbow grease later...the dirt was off...and I let it dry out.


Then I painted it with diluted white paint and an old chip brush (my favorite "new" tool!)








Using a guide I made on the computer...and a little charcoal on the back, I traced out the lettering. Then with a flat #4 brush, I handpainted the words from one of my favorite songs (Summer Breeze by Seals and Croft). After it had dried for a day,  I scruffed it up with sandpaper...


Then added a "driftshell" bottom...mostly broken or worn shells I have collected from both Florida coasts...east and west.  (Shellbelle is rubbing off on me!)


Now to hang it on the lanai............


Happy weekend...and to all the dad's out there, Happy Father's Day!
Jane


I am linking up with Masterpiece Monday at http://boogieboardcottage.blogspot.com. There are some wonderful things to see here....Check it out!

27 comments:

Desert Dreaming said...

OK, that is the cutest thing ever!!!! You are so creative it's unreal!!! I just love it!

Joni

Keetha Broyles said...

tres chic

Della said...

Oh my gosh! I love it! Who cares what the neighbor thinks! You made art honey. That is just clever, and beautiful! I want one!!!

Ricki Treleaven said...

Jane, this is such an adorable project! Love the lyrics you used, too. *awesome*

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh, I love it! And the driftshells at the bottom are the perfect touch! I can find more ways to decorate with seashells, can't you? ♥

Nana's Nuggets said...

This is so cute! Good Job!

Kat said...

I love this! I probably would have dug it out of the trash too (ignoring DH's eye rolls) But I don't think I would have come up with something this great! Love the song too, what a great project. Kat

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Gorgeous.. I love it!! and love what you have done with it..

I once found a gramophone stand in my neighbours junk and loved it to pieces .. though sadly gave it away.. and eye it jealously every time I visit my friend.. hehe

Sorry I took so long to visit.. have the flu!!! Have a great weekend. ciao xxx Julie

Barbara Jean said...

I like it! I like it!!

blessings
barbara jean

Ugich Konitari said...

Came here from Sylvia's....what a great idea !

mermaid gallery said...

Now that's innovative!...seeing the beauty and bringing it out in such a useful, artistic way...I bet you get lots of compliments on it!...nice!

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

...Blowin' through the jasmine of my miiiiiind.


LOVE it!

Leo said...

I love this...it came out so cute. I would love to have stumbled across the shutter...but I am not sure I would have had the creativity to turn it into such a treasure! Hope you are having a great day. My blogger comment issue seems to have fixed itself.

jmac said...

Cool Beans!!! Love it!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Fabulous! I love a good roadside rescue! Great vision and perfect for summer.

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

HAHA! Have your neighbors seen what you did with their cast-off?! Beautiful job!!

Heaven's Walk said...

LUV IT! LUV IT!! What WAS your neighbor thinking getting rid of that treasure....? lol! You breathed new life into it and now it's just fabulous!! :)

xoxo laurie

Arabella said...

Oh, Jane! That is SOOO totally fabulous - I love it!

Hugs,
Marie

Maria Killam said...

How great is that! Love what you did and so creative!
x
Maria

rjerdee said...

That IS a masterpiece, Jane! What? It's Wednesday after Father's Day and I just got over here? I'm waaaay behind these days...too many ballgames and birthday parties.
Love the driftshell signature at the bottom of your masterpiece? Makes me think of Rhonda.

lilabraga said...

fabulous!!!!!
what a creative mind you have!
fabulous blog too!
hugs
lila

Completely Coastal said...

I love, love the warm breeze down here in FL -great project and sign!!

SHERRY HART said...

Hey! I love me some trash! That was a cute makeover.....

Simple Daisy said...

That is AWESOME!!! What a lucky find:) And I LOVE what you did with it! You are just so creative!!

Moore Minutes said...

You made this?!! Wooow. The colors you chose are AWESOME. I want one lol.

Shellbelle said...

WOW! Jane this came out perfect! You are so creative my friend and I would go trash picking with you anytime. You've got such a good eye to see what something can be, good for your decor and the environment.

Seaside Style said...

Jane, this is adorable, CAME OUT GREAT!