Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

IT'S MELANOMA MONDAY!

IT'S MELANOMA MONDAY...TIME TO REMIND YOU TO USE SUNSCREEN AND TO CHECK YOU SKIN!






























This poster was on facebook today. It's a good basic reminder.  As the poster says...It's time to save your skin!

Around the country, many dermatologists offer free or discounted screenings during the month of May. Check out your local doctors and see if there is someplace near you...It truly can save your life. You can also check here:
www.aad.org

AND...Use sunscreen!!! It's recommended that you use a good product that is at least an SPF 30. 

To remind you what the SPF means...it's Skin Protection Factor. Factor means that you multiply. (See...those math lessons are useful, after all!)  I'll use my skin (fair) as an example...If I am in the sun without protection, my skin begins to turn pink within 10 minutes of exposure. So...if I used an SPF 30 product, I would get 300 minutes (30 x 10 min) of protection (about 5 hours). Even when the sun product says 8 hours of protection... And that protection is also dependent on water/sweat/etc. factors.

I use a COMPLETE Suncare product...protection from UVA 1 and 2  and UVB rays...every day. If I am in the water, I use one specifically for that purpose. And, yes, I still get a tan...a healthy golden glow. (Don't forget to protect your hands, ears, and head!)

Remember...you can get sunburned in your car...whichever side you are on,your hands, your arm, face, and neck are exposed. That's why you need to wear a sun product most of the time...even on cloudy days. 

PROTECT YOUR SKIN! It's your body's largest organ. (And you will look YOUNGER if you do!)

Jane

SLIP on a Shirt
SLAP on a Hat
SLIDE on some Sunglasses
SLOP on Sunscreen


No comments: