Pages

Friday, January 8, 2010

Say Goodbye...


Say Goodbye...to our tropical foliage. Even covering these plants will not protect them from the newest Arctic blast heading our way. All we can hope for is that the plants are not totally killed.

This has been a strange winter! We rarely drop to the forties...and that happens maybe once or twice a year. This year we are in our 3rd week of almost record lows. Heat pumps cannot pull heat out of air this cold...so the houses are quite cool. (Maybe we should pull out our old wood stove from our PA days...)

Now don't get me wrong...I am enjoying the cold...I get to wear my beautiful sweaters! But I'm going to miss these monstera plants...they are in my front flower bed...climbing up 20ft. high. Glad I photographed them last week...

Stay warm...especially those of you who are in the truly frigid weather. And think about the orange growers and the strawberry growers. They will likely lose their crops this weekend...right at the peak of the season. We're praying that this will not happen...
Jane

7 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Hi, Jane... checking in with you before I go on break.

I'm so upset over this cold. I am a true Floridian when it comes to cold, and I just completely shut down, not wanting to go outside. Brrrrrrrrr!

Yes, we are praying for the farmers. I drove through Plant City the other day, and one of the crops (not sure what it was looked burned badly. It made me want to cry. Hopefully, this won't wipe them out. I am praying. The freeze that took place down here in the 80's was the most devastating. It dropped from about 80 degrees down to about 18 in one day's time. We lost the pipes in two houses that year.

Stay warm...

XO,

Sheila

Bama Belle said...

Precious, we are praying for all of our coastal friends and family. My parents are in Gulf Shores, they are just sick over all of this cold weather. I do hope that your beautiful plants will survive. Perhaps they will just be weepy but come back. Keep us posted

Kat said...

Oh Jane, I hope that your plants manage to survive. It's been an incredibly cold winter for us too, the cold came much earlier than normal and has really stuck around. It was 16 degrees when I woke up this morning! I do hope that the citrus farmers are able to salvage some of their crops, this weather is just devastating for them. Have a good weekend and try and stay warm! Kathy

Shellbelle said...

Jane — Snow and sleet in Tampa this morning? Where the heck are we? They said the conditions are like they were in 1989, not the true snowfall of 1977. BUT still, I hate it. Did you hear about our sea turtles going into shock from the cold water. They have 12, probably at Clearwater Aquarium, that they will keep until the water warms up. And our plants, and the farmers. Oh my, we're not in Kansas anymore, or maybe we are! Stay warm!

Ms. Bake-it said...

I cannot believe how terrible our weather is! I have been in Florida for 37 years and have only seen it this bad a few times (as stated above by Rhonda). I am so worried about our critters and crops. I hope your plants make it. I may have already lost a few because of my crazy schedule - got home late from work and forgot to cover them.

Stay warm,
~ Tracy

Ms.Daisy said...

Jane,
I lived in Florida in the mid seventies and the year we left was one of those years that many people lost their beautiful plants. I remember how sad we felt for all the plants we had left behind and always wondered how they fared! I really like your blog and am very partial to St.Augustine.

Karen said...

I came over to you through Bama Belle's blog once I read that you like white shirts, jeans and silver jewelry. That's me!!
Then I open your blog and see an iguana. You should see my iguana pictures posted last year. The pictures were taken at our ranch house in Mexico. Huge, huge iguanas. (They give me the creeps!)
I really like your blog. I'll be back.
Karen
Ladybug Creek