Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

QUICK AND EASY...AND DELICIOUS!

It's Foodie Friday!! Thanks to designsbygollum for hosting this event.

Today, I am sharing a Spanish dish that is quick and easy to prepare. And it's delicious! It's good for a family meal...or for a company dish. This dish is among my favorites to order at our local Spanish and Cuban restaurants.

Chicken Salteado

As I have said before, I rarely use recipes so my ingredient portions are "by guess and by gosh". This is truly a dish that can be prepared according to taste. Just be sure not to overdo the salt and pepper. Chorizo has a LOT of flavor.


Ingredients:

3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
Olive Oil, 2-3 Tbsp.
Butter, 2-3 Tbsp.
4-5 Cloves Garlic, peeled and smashed (or dice, if you prefer)
1-2 Potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 - 1 medium Spanish or Sweet Onion, quartered and sliced or chopped
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Oregano, to taste (I use about 1/2 - 1 tsp)
Wine, to taste...I prefer to use a Spanish White Table Wine, but most any inexpensive wine will do.

In a large skillet (I use an electric frying pan), saute the garlic and onion in olive oil and butter.
Remove from pan and set aside. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken and saute, adding additional olive oil and butter, if needed. Remove and set aside. Add potatoes and cook until tender. Add chorizo and the chicken, garlic, and onion. Toss together. Add oregano and a splash of wine (I use about 1/2 - 1 cup wine.) Simmer until flavors blend.

Serves 4-6
*** You can substitute STEAK for the Chicken...thinly slice lean sirloin and follow the same directions as for the chicken. However, substitute red wine for the white.

Serve with yellow rice, Cuban-style seasoned black beans and Cuban bread. A crisp green salad is a nice addition.

If you cannot find the rice, beans and chorizo in your market, you can order from




For the wine, I use a particular wine I buy at a Cuban/Italian market....Tres Rios is a Spanish table wine...very inexpensive (under $5) and excellent for cooking or for a Sangria base. When I prepare the Steak Salteado, I use the Tres Rios Red Table wine.

Cuban Bread is the perfect accompaniment with this meal. But I know it is unavailable in most locations. For those who are bakers, there are some recipes available online. I would suggest that you look for "Tampa Style" recipes. They are the best. Otherwise, use a crusty baguette. Below is a link for a good recipe...and information on the differences of Cuban bread. Interesting reading!
www.oo.com/kitchen-warfares-cuban-bread-tampa-style/

Enjoy!


8 comments:

Laura Trevey said...

This looks divine...
Have a bright, bold, and beautiful weekend Jane!
xoxo Laura

Allie and Pattie said...

Jane, this looks wonderful! And a friend JUST asked me for some Spanish recipes- I'm sending this with the bunch. Thank you so much for visiting and the sweet comment. I think this post hit a nerve (and a funny bone). I've gotten a TON of emails!
xoxo Pattie

Shellbelle said...

Jane, thank you, thank you, thank you! I love this dish and order it out quite often. I know where I'm moving to there are only a couple of restaurants and I know none are Cuban. I do cook a couple of Cuban dishes, but not this one. I'll be thinking of you and thanking you when I get the craving for Chicken Salteado.

Bama Belle said...

YUMMMMMM Oh I must try this

Jamie Mori said...

Looks delicious!

Unknown said...

Guess and by gosh! Perfect, I just love it. LOL!

Maria Killam said...

If I ate chicken, I'm sure I would love it!!

Ms. Bake-it said...

I do not eat meat but I think I will make this dish for the kids. Although I bake all kinds of breads, I have not tried my hand at baking Cuban bread and I have a couple of authentic recipes (or so I was told). I am going to add this one to my collection and maybe when things calm/slow down a little in my world I will finally have a chance to make some.

In response to your inquiry as to which thrift stores I go to, I typically go to places in Pinellas and Hillsborough Counties. On weekends sometimes I try to get to them first thing in the morning and finish my shopping before noon and other times I make a day of it like my friend and I did. I also hit a few once or twice a month during my lunch hour. Ann and I went to a couple of estate sales, 2 different Salvation Army Family Thrift Stores, the large Goodwill on Gandy Blvd and a few small second hand stores. I doubt I will be going back to the Goodwill on Gandy since I was so disappointed. It used to be a great place to find stuff but when we walked in it was like walking in to a Big Lots, TJMaxx or something along those lines. They are now selling what appears to be overstock from larger stores and their prices were only a dollar or two off (if even). They still had used and donated items but their prices floored me! I was lucky to find the crates there. The table and magazine holder were purchased at the estate sales and the silver set and pie plate was purchased at a small place called The Garage Sale Store in St. Pete, the wooden tray was purchased at one of the Salvation Army Thrift stores – not sure if it was the one in St. Pete or Pinellas Park and the decorative glass containers were at some little second hand store in St. Pete.

~ Tracy