Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Palm Beach...The Breakers



As I mentioned in my previous post, I just returned from a short trip to Palm Beach, FL...just across the state, about 4 hours away. This is no ordinary place...think Rolls Royce, Mercedes AMG, Ferrari, and mansions. Then there are the yachts... and the shopping on Worth Avenue...


Now, I could have spent all my time window shopping and browsing in the fabulous shops on Worth Avenue and in City Place, but I've "been there, done that". So I spent most of my time RELAXING!


Tuesday was my day for exploring the resort...5 pools, a fabulous spa, hammocks just waiting for one or two guests to sway along with the breeze...
under the trees, strategically placed chairs ready for the ocean- gazers (me!), chaise lounges in every direction, hotel shops that rival Worth Ave., and the historic hotel, itself. I ended my day, sitting in a chair on a manicured lawn under swaying palms, gazing at the ocean...reading and sketching. And of course, my camera was always ready for the next shot...
You can see why the property is called The Breakers.
I noticed that all along the coast of Palm Beach and beyond, there were, what I assumed, natural (and man made ?) rock formations...breakers.


The lifeguard stand had warnings of dangerous currents and marine wildlife...today it was jellyfish. What you cannot see from this photo is that the lifeguard stand is actually several feet above the sand (and the lifeguards were exceptionally good looking. Oh to be a teenager, again!). I am just seeing the top of it...over a sea grape hedge, from my chair. I was too relaxed...and lazy...to stand up for the photo.






Thunderheads were building...a typical tropical sky on a HOT afternoon (89 degrees at the end of October? That's hot!!!). I always love to see the sun shining out from the clouds.






The palms swaying above my chair had thick cables attached to them. These attach to hooks in the ground...a precaution to keep the trees from flying toward the buildings during storms.














                 












  Ships of all shapes and sizes entertained the ocean-gazers...


 
A tanker heading out to sea...
A cruise ship passes a tanker... The tanker reminds me of a floating castle.
A yacht (this one was relatively small...only one outboard motor boat)...cruising along...and a cruiser

which let some jet skis down
into the water. They entertained us.
(The BIG yachts were not here yet...many of these have 2-4 garages to hold their outboard motor boats and jet skis, plus helicopters on landing pads. I'm talking BIG!)




Twilight approaches...time to head back to the room to dress for a cocktail party...



Here's a peak at our room...
The furnishings were very eclectic...but pleasing. The bed was so comfortable that I fell asleep before 9pm and slept until 9am...not my normal style!

The marble bathroom had a separate shower and jacuzzi tub, a separate "water closet", and a television.
This was our view...not the best, but then again, the room charge was picked up by the conference. I am definitely not complaining.

More to come...later.




Please visit Susan @ asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com to see all the other wonderful "Outdoor" posts.

12 comments:

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

The room looks very nice!!! I'd love to see more!

pam@ iLoveShelling said...

Ohhhhh. Staying at The Breakers is such a treat! It is the creme de la creme.
I know you are enjoying every single moment. Big Tip- if you dont want to pay for Worth Avenue (my husband calls it "Worthless Avenue") there are incredible consignment stores just blocks away from you.

Donnie said...

Your photos are so lovely. I especially like the blue of the water..

Simple Daisy said...

Wow!!
What a beautiful place:)

One Shabby Old House said...

I am so glad that you had this wonderful experience. Your pictures are beautiful. What a beautiful place.

rjerdee said...

Ahh, that's the life, isn't it?...going along on MD's conference...to live for a bit among the privileged few. It made me laugh out loud that you shot the pictures from your chaise, not inclined to get up :)

Drawn to The Sea said...

What a beautiful setting. Relaxing in the sun, watching the waves... who needs shopping?

Ms. Kathleen said...

Gorgeous photos. It's been years since I have been in Florida. How wonderful!

Unknown said...

Great shots. I like especially the water with the stones. Have a great day.

Eden said...

Nice post for Outdoor Wednesday. Love the place. It is beautiful. Great captures.

Have a great weekend.

Linda said...

What a nice place to relax...there's a lot of activity out there in the water...hard to believe people can have yachts that big, but I've been to Florida once and the houses and boats were amazing there!

Shellbelle said...

Wow, what a wonderful place to visit! The photos are great and really give us a good idea of how this area looks. So glad to see you took some time for some pampering. I'm off to Sanibel tomorrow, I'll be in touch when I get back. Big Hugs. Oh, I'm having a giveaway, so stop by and join the fun!