Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

DOWNTOWN CHICKS...

My 92 (almost 93!) year old mother and I went to lunch at one of her favorite restaurants in Ybor City. It's a place near her childhood home...and one of the "haunts" that she and my dad used to frequent.
La Tropicana Cafe is a landmarks in Ybor...

It's known for its Cuban cuisine...well, cuisine is really too fancy a word to use here...It's know for its FOOD!... Cuban sandwiches, ostrich egg-sized deviled crabs (my FAVORITE!), beans and rice, and cafe con leche. 

Every morning, you will find the restaurant filled with old guys, dipping their Cuban toast into frothy cups of cafe con leche, reading La Gazetta (the Spanish newspaper), and discussing the events of the day. As lunch time approaches, the clientele shifts to business folk, locals, and the occasional tourists. The scent of Cuban sandwiches and black beans permeates the atmosphere...
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The other day, Mom and I stopped in for a deviled crab and cafe con leche.
As we left...this is what we saw:
Yes...your eyes are NOT deceiving you. 
That's a hen with chicks!
Actually, there were 10 chicks...and a few sparrows...feasting on the sidewalk.
They live in this hibiscus bush, right next to the restaurant. As we approached, several scooted under the leaves and into the branches...a foot above the sidewalk.
This was definitely NOT something you would expect to see...in the middle of town!!!
(I sure hope these little guys are not on the menu...Maybe I'll not order yellow rice and chicken, for awhile!)


Cheers,
Jane


I am linking with Outdoor Wednesday...

5 comments:

rjerdee said...

Hee, hee...this is so tropical though. There's a Cuban restaurant outside of Miami with hens walking around and whenever we dine at our favorite under-the-trees Key West restaurant, we do it in the company of cluckers...who also boldly walk the streets.

We were in Tampa yesterday...methinks we need to take time out for Ybor...

Sue said...

I think this sounds so good. I've been to Ybor City a few times, but we have always eaten at Columbia. You made me hungry for Cuban food!

Kaybe said...

The best (hands down) Cuban food in Tampa. I wish they would export to Englewood. Good Cuban food in SWFL is far & few between.... & don't get me going on a good greek salad.

Unknown said...

How lucky to still have you mom. Sound like a good time. Thanks for sharing and visiting my post.Joann

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How cute the hen and chicks are! I posted about a duck and her babies at the mall awhile back! It's always fun living here in Florida...everyone loves it here! ♥♥♥