Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

FRITTATAs

You know, it always amazes me how blogging opens doors for wonderful friendships...not only in written word, but in REAL LIFE. And it's really wonderful when the husbands/wives can share in the fun...


While in St. Augustine, MacDaddy and I had the wonderful privilege to share a meal with my dear friend, Mrs. Magpie (Sheila from Quintessential Magpie) and her husband. We met them at La Pentola...an absolutely wonderful restaurant in Old Town....for Sunday brunch. The menu was a mixture of Latin and Mediterranean cuisine...


As usual, I did not bring my camera with me, so no photos of the meal and the diners...

(restaurant photos courtesy of La Pentola website)


My meal was a chorizo frittata... one of the "comfort foods" from my childhood. Several times a week, my mother would make frittatas for lunch. Of course, she did not use the "special" ingredients used by the chef at La Pentola. She used the refrigerator...and all the leftovers from dinner the night before.


All those little bits of meats and veggies, plus a little sliced potato and onion, were sauteed in a pan with a little olive oil. Beaten eggs were added and the frittata was born.... It was always delicious (except when she added green peas. I didn't like them!)


Since we returned from our trip, I have been making frittatas for my lunch/brunch at least once a week. They're quick, easy, and oh, so good.  Here's how (and you DON'T need a "frittata pan"!)

BASIC FRITTATA
Ingredients***:
   1. a few pieces of thinly sliced potato
   2. a little chopped sweet onion
   3. 2-3 thin slices of deli ham, chopped
   4. salt and pepper to taste


In a small, slope-sided pan, saute the potato and onion in a little olive oil. (I find covering the pan for a couple of minutes helps the potato to thoroughly cook). Add the ham and saute until it's lightly browned on the edges. In a bowl, scramble 2-3 eggs, then pour over the ham mixture. Gently lift the edges to allow the wet egg to get to the bottom of the pan. When the egg is set, gently slide the frittata onto a plate, and flip it over, back into the pan. At this point, I cover it for a minute, to make sure it's thoroughly cooked. Slide it onto your serving plate...and enjoy.


***You can use any combination of meats, vegetables, cheeses...whatever you like. It makes a wonderful light lunch or dinner...even breakfast. (I especially love a combination of chorizo (a Spanish sausage) and diced avocado. I serve this with a little salsa and a dollop of sour cream.)


Enjoy!
Jane


Check out all the wonderful recipes at FOODIE FRIDAY!

5 comments:

rjerdee said...

Oh, that's what you call what I've been doing all along...frittatas!

Deanna said...

Popping by to say howdy and wishing you a great Autumn!
Blogging is a great thing.

God bless,
d

Leo said...

So nice you were able to meet up. And St. Augustine is such a wonderful little town. Hope your stay in Crescent Beach was all that you expected and more!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What a fun time we had, Jane! I have been remiss in making it around to visit. Loved seeing the pics of our fun time together, and I loved the fact that we got the boys together with us! Such fun!

Sending you warm hugs. Come back to see us any time!

XO,

Sheila

Elsa said...

I love frittatas and I love St. Augustine too. We go there often for part of our vacation and I had hoped we would live there some day but the opportunity did not work out. Still, a beautiful place! :)