Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

MINI GERMAN PANCAKES

Because of our schedules, breakfast at our house is usually "fix your own". 

MacDaddy is an early riser. He loves to get going in the morning...watching his business shows, catching up with the world...reading the WSJ.  I love to stay up late...no noise...no distractions...and paint into the wee hours. Then I sleep late. With this kind of "schedule", breakfast is a "make your own" affair.

But sometimes, I wake up early with the urge to make something different...something special. And that was the case this morning.

I found an interesting recipe on Pinterest...and AllRecipes.com



Mini German Pancakes. 

The recipe is quite basic, but the photo drew my attention. So this morning....I prepared them. And I am so glad I did. They're delicious!

The batter is rather "eggy"...just as it should be. And they all puffed up just like they perfectly!  I made them in the Demarle at Home Muffin Flexipan...No oils, butter, or sprays are needed in these pans. (The new Popover Flexipan would work with this recipe, too.)


To serve...I made a fresh berry compote, using fresh blueberries and strawberries...and no sugar!

Here's the recipe:

Mini German Pancakes

1 cup milk
6 eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. grated orange zest (this is optional, but it tastes great!)
1/4 cup melted butter

1.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a blender, combing milk, eggs, flour, salt, vanilla and orange zest. (Make sure there are no flour clumps!)

2.  Blend in butter, a little at a time.

3.  Fill the Demarle at Home muffin cups a little less than half full. (If using conventional muffin pans, grease them!) You should get 18-24 cups.

4.  Bake for 15 minutes, or until the pancakes are puffy and golden on top (edges should be slightly browned).

5. Serve with your favorite toppings.

Fresh Berry Compote

2 cups fresh blueberries and strawberries. (I mixed a pint of        blueberries with 3 large, chopped strawberries)
2 Tbsp. water
1 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. cornstarch
(If desired, you can add 2 Tbsp sugar. I did not.)

While the pancakes are baking:
In a medium saucepan, place all ingredients and bring to a boil for about 3 minutes. Stir occasionally, to keep from burning and sticking. Simmer 2-3 minutes until slightly thickened. Spoon into the wells of the pancake. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.


YUM!